We know that the security of their pensions is a priority issue for NASA members. The government is making changes that impact your pension plan. It's time to fight back! We are deeply concerned that this incredibly important omnibus bill, which impacts not only our pensions but also a wide range of other items, was introduced, debated and passed all within the span of just three days, without adequate time for debate and with absolutely no public consultation. Because of this, we are encouraging our members to reach out and write to the Premier, the Finance Minister and their local MLA to share their concerns.
Why should I be concerned about Bill 22?
- Bill 22 changes who has authority to make appointments to the Pension Boards by requiring government approval of any new appointments. Unions should be able to select their representatives without government interference. A core principle of the joint governance model is a balance of power with equal representation from employers and employees as both groups pay into the plan.
- PSPP funds are currently managed by AIMCo, but Bill 22 removes the future option for the plan to use other fund managers. If fund management remains with AIMCo it should be because the PSPP Board is happy with their management of the funds, not because there is no choice but to stay with them.
- Given the current government's willingness to meddle in organizations that are supposed to be arm's length, there is concern that they may meddle in AIMCo's investment decisions. AIMCo must remain truly free from government interference in investment decisions. Fund investments should be made based on sound financial analysis, not the government's political agenda.
Your message doesn't have to be long or complicated. It can be as simple as saying that you don't support the changes to your pension plan contained in Bill 22 and you're angry that the government is putting your retirement security at risk. When you send your email, be sure to ask for a response.
Email is great, but it's even better if you follow up with a phone call to also express your concerns directly. Be polite and to the point.
If you want to go into more detail, you can read NASA's update on Bill 22 for background, or you may choose put some or all of these points into your own words:
- I would like the government to rescind Bill 22
- I'm concerned about changes to the governance of my pension plan contained in Bill 22
- This government did not campaign during the last election on making major changes to the retirement security of Albertans and doesn't have the mandate to make these changes.
- I don't support the government taking control over deciding who sits on PSPP joint governance boards
- Since both employees and employers pay into the pension plans, employees and employers should have an equal numbers of seats on the joint boards.
- I don't want the government putting my retirement security at risk by giving itself the power to direct AIMCo's investment decisions.
- We should have the option to use other fund managers in the future, rather than being required to stay with AIMCo.
- I'm also concerned about the government's reckless and irresponsible plan to pull Alberta out of the CPP to form a provincial plan.
Who to contact:
Hon. Jason Kenney, Premier
Hon. Travis Toews, President of Treasury Board and Minister of Finance
We also strongly encourage you to email your own MLA. Please note that unless you live outside of Edmonton or in Edmononton-South West (represented by the UCP's Kaycee Madu) your MLA will be a member of the opposition, but it's still important that your own MLA hears your concerns.
You can find you MLA using this tool:
NASA would appreciate hearing your thoughts and concerns as well, and we encourage you to please copy us (at firstname.lastname@example.org) on any emails that you write to the Premier, MLAs, or others.